Coach Joe Paterno dies: You be the editor
Reporters and editors had to make many decisions including:
- How high up in the story should the Penn State sex abuse scandal and his 2011 firing be mentioned?
- How should he be described in the headline: Was he the legendary coach, the fired coach or the disgraced coach?
Look at the headlines and the tops of the stories in the slideshow I’ve posted. And read the complete stories I’ve linked to below. Pay particular attention to where in the story the scandal is mentioned. You’ll notice it varies from first graph to sixth or seventh graph in some cases.
- Do you think the location of the news outlet (New York vs. Pennsyvlania, for instance) or the nature of the news outlet (student paper vs. sports outlet, for instance) played a role in the editors’ decisions? In what way, did geography or the nature of the news outlet affect news judgment decisions.
- How much of a role should geography play in news judgment decisions? Be specific in your answer.
- If you had been writing or editing the story and writing the headline, what would you have done? Why?
Answer your questions thoroughly in no more than two pages. Submit answers as directed by your instructor.